We Love To Fly And It Shows

Delta Air Lines raised me.  From being born into the “Delta Family” to my first flight at 4 months old to the literally hundreds to thousands of hours spent on planes, in airports, or hanging out in the various divisions/offices my dad progressed through during his 20-some years there.  Heck, I even met the CEO before I was out of high school!

It was pretty much assumed-and most of all by me-that I would pursue a career in the airline industry.  I had been exposed to almost every side of it-corporate, IT, some areas of branding or marketing, a bit of flight operations (flight simulators!), I even spent time in active hangars observing the mechanics in both basic maintenance  and more intensive repairs.  I loved the industry and still do.  Unfortunately, as I was looking at college graduation the industry, including Delta, was looking at serious economic trouble.  The fear and uncertainty surrounding what had been such a powerhouse company drove me in other directions. 

But I will always love the airline world.  I still communicate in airport city code to my family (why write out an entire city name when three letters will do?!) and I still think I can audibly distinguish between a Boeing, Pratt & Whitney, and GE airplane engine (they DO sound different).  You develop a lot of useless (unique) skills when you spend much of your childhood around airports!

So yesterday the family, including my brother and his wife and daughter, headed out to the airport to visit the newly opened Delta Flight Museum.  Here are some snapshots of what we saw:




My all-time favorite aircraft…the Lockheed L-1011 Tristar.  Le sigh…  Most were retired between the mid-90s and early 2000s. 





The fam and I.  Mom insisted on a group picture. 

Around the airport:







Nothing to write home about photography-wise but some fun shots for the ol’ magpie box!  We’re leaving Tuesday for the coast-I hope for some great inspiration there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowers!

Sapelo Island, Part I

Corvus Plays With Pinecones