Out And About & Kid Art

I had hoped today to get out and get some great pictures.  It didn’t happen.  We went out for Mexican this evening, which is an absolute must when in the south.  I may have gorged myself on tortilla chips and salsa.  I may have had a margarita.  Or two.  And I may have rendered myself completely useless during the prime evening photography hours.  I haven’t had a margarita or restaurant chips and salsa in over a year…(American) Mexican doesn’t fit into a healthy lifestyle and I very much enjoyed indulging tonight.  It was delicious!

So instead I will be posting some random snapshots from various places we visited today, some amazing kid art from the local Sheriff’s Office, and a couple of night shots taken after I recovered from dinner!

I hate sitting inside despite the fact that it’s in the mid-90s so I thought it would be fun to combine some letterboxing with a visit to a local natural area. 

It took me forever to get this guy:


 
I decided to play around with my polarizing filter a bit.  Basically, polarizers absorb light to reduce reflection or glare as well as allowing natural colors to be captured more intensely (yay, physics!).  I tried the glare/reflection-reducing property for this picture.


Not the most compelling shot but it was kind of cool being able to reduce enough of the reflection on the water to get a fairly clear look at these fish!  Finally, on the way out we saw this:


Yep.

One of my most favorite things about teaching was the art!  Kids make the best drawings and these drug awareness selections do not disappoint!  The best part?  All from the school we taught at down here!



Love the arms coming out of the waist.


 This guy in the middle.  Wow.  Too much candy? Drugs?  Something.


So…we laughed out loud, especially at this one, but were also really saddened by it.  This girl is fully aware that drugs come in little bags, has her bills all rolled up, and ended up with a pretty darn good gun drawing.  As much as I’d like to say she has seen this all on television, based on where many of the kids at this school live, the sad reality is she’s probably seen it all first hand.  I lost a couple probation kids to the drug world in these neighborhoods…as in purses/IDs found in the dumpster never heard from again disappeared.  They were high schoolers, this girl is in the 5th grade.

To lighten the mood, let’s flash back to my all-time favorite Red Ribbon Week anti-drug drawing from when I was a teacher!


The quality is horrible because it’s been reproduced tons of times but the earless monkey is saying, “Doing drugs are banana”.  But then his little thought bubble says “I love banana.”  So…does he love drugs?  Just banana?  Either way, this is a classic!

Finally, a couple quick night shots.  The first is where our wedding rehearsal dinner was held.  Great old building, served as a makeshift hospital in 1900 following a tragic train wreck.  Allegedly one of the most haunted buildings in our town.  Second picture…well, you know!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowers!

Sapelo Island, Part I

Corvus Plays With Pinecones