Phone Photos!

I've realized that I've now been back from my trip for a week and have yet to post any kind of update.  So much for we're back, right?  I've taken the pictures off my camera but that's all the further I've gotten...there's still choosing the best ones, editing, etc.  What to do in the meantime?  Snapshots from the phone as a preview!

So, the trip home.  It's always nice getting back home to Georgia and this time it was extra fun because I got to take someone who has never been.  Erika and I have been talking about going together for about a year and the timing was good to make it happen this spring.  We had a good time and my parents were thrilled to have us!

The trip almost didn't happen-we left on Tuesday but Monday afternoon I started feeling horrible.  What the...?  I never get sick!  After a lot of rest I was good to fly Tuesday and by Wednesday I was completely fine.  Whew.  My parents, however, weren't so lucky.  We ended up not staying with them the first night and had to get a ride from the airport.  Our ride, however?  This:




My parents do ATL in style!  When my mom sent me the text to let me know of our arrangements she felt the need to explain what an Escalade was (large SUV).  By this point we were cracking up-my parents sent an Escalade for us!  Well, that just set the expectation for the rest of the trip!

 After feeling gross for two days I was STARVING by Tuesday night so we set out to the town square (every southern town has one, complete with statue-usually of a Confederate soldier!) to eat, walk around, and take some pictures.  New local place for dinner...very cool pub/live music venue on the square.  Shout out to the Deep South Deli and Pub and their awesome meatloaf sandwich (that was eaten too quickly for a picture).


Also, got to enjoy some very local micro brews from Jail House Brewing Company just down the road from the school I used to teach at in Hampton, GA.  I'm a huge fan of supporting local business whenever I can!

Wednesday morning we took off for the coast to spend a couple of days in Savannah and Tybee Island.  We couldn't have asked for better weather-sunny and in the low 80s the whole time.  

Since check-in wasn't until later in the afternoon, we made a couple of stops into Savannah...one being Wormsloe Plantation.  The azaleas were just blooming, making for some beautiful scenery.


However, Wormsloe is best known for its massive driveway, known as "oak alley".  


This looks much more impressive in the summer when the leaves are fully out and the trees are totally covered in Spanish moss but it's still a lovely scene.  Technically you aren't allowed to take pictures without paying admission to the site...oops.  My finger slipped.  On my phone.  And my real camera.  A couple of times.

After this we checked in and headed out to explore River Street and eat at-where else-my all time favorite pizza place.  Since Erika is a normal human being we didn't get an entire pizza to share.  However, I ordered two slices and the waitress paused and warned me that they were big (two slices are about a third of a pizza but I normally eat half so...).  My response?  I know, it's okay.  Erika's response?  That girl can eat!  I got warned several times on this trip about food portion size...I guess people don't think I can put the food away!  This is why I run, folks.  

 


Later that night we stopped at Wet Willie's for drinks.  Erika couldn't finish hers (light weight) but neither could I (too much pizza-those slices were big!).

The next day was an early trip to Tybee and late rooftop bar drinks!  




 

So the first picture was originally posted on Instagram and got noticed by one of the Tybee Island tourism agencies.  Woo!  The last picture was actually taken/created by Erika.  She took several shots from our seat on the rooftop bar (Rocks on the Roof-good stuff).  So we spent nearly a week in Savannah and the Atlanta area but the highlight of Erika's trip?  This night, as we sat on the roof and a tug boat drove by and tooted its whistle!  Seriously!  Sure, we'll take another drink...

Okay, for those who saw my entry on Savannah food before I lamented for not taking a picture of what might be hands-down the best food ever (well, except maybe for Vinnie's pizza).  Beignets.  Look and wish you could have them.  See that cup?  It's full of praline sauce.  Yep.


Okay, moving along.  Last couple of phone photos are from our day downtown.  Mine are mostly of Georgia State.  I haven't been on campus in 13 years and it was so strange walking up the classroom building steps.  It really hasn't changed much at all...right down to the fountain that never has any water in it.  




The classroom building in the middle is where I took my career counseling class in grad school.  Everyone was terrified of the professor as he was known as the GPA buster.  My friend and I ended up loving him AND I kept my 4.0 through the class!  Good memories.

Finally, the lobby of an old hotel taken as we wandered downtown Atlanta.  This is the only pic from that part of the day on my phone but more later.


Dumping of my phone pictures, complete.  Now I work my way through all the rest, pretending to be warm as it spits snow outside in late March!  I expect guest photos from Erika and I hope to start posting interesting adventures locally in addition to my trips.  Time to start finding local inspiration that's long been lacking! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowers!

Sapelo Island, Part I

Corvus Plays With Pinecones