Savannah: Fabulous Views and Food!

Savannah is a second home to me.  I've been traveling there for almost two decades and though it is hardly the most exotic destination, there is a connection that has grown from familiarity and love of the low country.  

One of my favorite places to stay is the River Street Inn (when the dogs aren't along, of course) right on River Street.  


It is an absolute must to have a room with a balcony overlooking the river and the first thing I do after dropping my suitcase is check out the view.  I love being part of everything while still being removed.  It's great standing on the balcony watching the crowds, the artists, and the musicians along the river walk.  In fact, as I opened the doors this trip I was greeted by a fairly decent rendition of Tom Petty's "Yer So Bad".  Nice.


One of the many amazing views that have greeted me over the years!  Hot Georgia days, puffy summer clouds, coastal breezes, and...cargo ships!  Love this place!

Since I'm still sorting through years worth of pictures (figured I'd include more than just the last trip) I'll start with some quick snapshots and phone pictures of one of the highlights of Savannah-the food!  I'm still pretty horrible about remembering to take pictures especially, you know, when it's time to eat.  But here are some highlights.


Savannah is a city with a strong British influence and, as a result, a large number of pubs.  Most are either English or Irish but my favorite is this one...Molly MacPherson's, a Scottish pub.  It's a little out of the way, less known (always a plus), and the staff is great.  But the real reason it's my fave?

  

Okay, this isn't the real reason though being able to get a properly poured Black & Tan or  Half & Half is nice.  I used to be decently skilled at making these but that was many years ago!  No, here's the real reason...


Scotch eggs!  If you have never tried one, you must.  They are heart attack goodness on a plate-hard boiled eggs coated in a layer of sausage and deep fried.  Served with mustard for dipping.  Thankfully I only have access to these once a year, max!

Next stop on the food tour-Tybee Island.  Tybee is another barrier island, like Sapelo, but developed.  It's the location of Savannah's beach and has a very relaxed, laid back vibe.  I also enjoy Ft. Pulaski (more later) and the rail trail along the Savannah River and marsh.  We didn't make it out there this year since we were only in town for a couple of days and had just spent two days on an island.  However, there are a couple of places we like to stop when we do have time.


First is The Crab Shack.  This is an old fish camp turned seafood restaurant...it's definitely become more of a tourist spot over the last ten or so years, which is a bummer.  Most of the seating is outside under huge oak trees along the water where you often see dolphins or otters playing.  While we've found a couple less touristy places of late, this is still worth a stop if only for this:


It's a giant platter of steamed (you actually can't get anything fried here) mussels, crayfish (welcome south!), shrimp, two kinds of crab legs, corn, potatoes, and sausage.  

Other good and less tourist-infested spots include a couple of places on the tidal creeks/rivers.  More great locations to sit out in the sun and breeze watching shrimp boats and dolphins.


 
Fried strawberries on the right!

I'm always given a hard time for talking about the tourists because "you're one of those tourists"...I will argue.  In fact, it's really sad to me to see some of those little hole-in-the-wall local spots I used to love become overrun with obnoxious vacationers looking to get drunk because apparently that's what you do in Savannah now.  Yes, it is an open container city which is convenient but I see it going the way of New Orleans and becoming all about the partying.  And despite some of what you see in this entry, I appreciate the town for what it is beyond the occasional vacation beverage!  

 So late Savannah nights lead into late mornings and brunch-examples of each shown below.























On the left is a "Bob Marley" from Wet Willie's-a late night location known for their super strong drinks.  I used to be able hang with them but I find most of their drinks just gross due to the high alcohol content.  This one, however, being a mixture of strawberry, green apple, and mango was quite tasty.  On the right, my favorite brunch location...Huey's.  They're a Cajun inspired restaurant with awesomeness like these Eggs Benedict and garlic parmesan grits.  In an epic fail I completely missed out on taking a pic of the best part-the beignets!  Served with praline sauce.  Fabulous.

I found and tried a new place this trip:



Lulu's Chocolate Bar!  Ridiculous!  In the top photo we are enjoying a white chocolate chip cheesecake, some kind of chocolate strawberry cake, and a Milky Way martini.  On the bottom (sans the picture of whichever yummy dessert I had) is a salted caramel martini.  Geeze...I'm really not much of a drinker-what the heck?  :)

Last but certainly not least is my absolute favorite place ever!  I honestly look forward to this meal all year long, silly as it seems!  Vinnie Van Go Go's is my very favorite pizza place.  It's this tiny little run down place staffed pretty much entirely by SCAD students.  Honestly, I've thought many times how great it would be to just quit any professional career I've had, enroll at SCAD, and wait tables at Vinnie's.  But that wouldn't be prudent, would it?  Oh well...





I'll leave you with a couple more random shots...balcony dining on River Street and a storm rolling in over the marsh (seen from the balcony, of course).  One of the things I love so much is watching the late afternoon summer storms roll in over the marsh just on the other side of the river.  



Coming up will be beaches, lighthouses, cemeteries, night shots, and more (did I say cargo ships?)!  Oh, and more professional pictures!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Flowers!

Sapelo Island, Part I

Corvus Plays With Pinecones